Fatal Quebec fire believed to be accidental

Oct. 10, 2017, Cap-Chat, Que. – Quebec provincial police say a house fire that caused the death of a woman and her two young twins in the province’s Gaspe region was likely caused by a cooking fire.

They say the investigation isn’t complete but all the evidence suggests the fire was accidental.

A police spokesperson said the smoke detector in the building wasn’t working.

Julie Lemieux, 37, and her one-year-old children were pronounced dead in hospital after the fire broke out in their home in Cap-Chat early Sunday morning.

A dozen neighbours were also briefly evacuated.

Cap-Chat is a small town located almost 500 kilometres northeast of Quebec City.

(RSS generated with FetchRss)

Powered by WPeMatico